Happy Sunday evening! Did the weekend fly by as fast for everyone else as it did for me? I don't even want to think about the fact that I have to be up in 10 hours for work. Ugh.
Anyway, I made a really delicious meal last night and I wanted to share it with you guys in case anyone is still planning meals for the week! They're just zucchini boats with Italian turkey sausage and veggie filling. I told a friend at work about them and she suggested calling them zucchini gondolas. We laughed for like 10 minutes about it. So that is now my title of choice.
What you need:
1 lb Italian turkey sausage
8 oz mushrooms, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
green bell pepper, diced
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Slice each zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
3. Heat about 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and saute until onions become transparent. Add garlic and saute another minute or two.
4. Add turkey sausage to skillet, making sure to break it up while cooking. Cook until sausage starts to brown.
5. Add crushed tomatoes and mushrooms. Stir. Add all the spices and salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Cook until the mixture has thickened up a little bit.
6. Spoon the mixture into the empty zucchini halves. Place the filled zucchinis in a baking dish filled with a little bit of water, about 1/2 an inch or so.
7. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Sprinkle mozzarella on (as much as you prefer!) and bake for another 5 minutes or until the mozzarella is melted.
Feel free to add or adjust the recipe to your liking. Enjoy!!