Friday, January 28, 2011

A meaningful alternative to photos.

Since we moved in I wanted a collage wall in this particular spot in our dining room. It's the spot that I see whenever I'm cooking or doing dishes. I just wanted to hang things there that I love. But not photos. At least not all photos. So I've been working on a couple things to put there.

This is what it looks like right now:

IMG_0695

The Massachusetts cutting board is from A Heirloom. You all know how much I love my home state. My favorite part is that they even include Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. And the key is the key to our first home in Hawaii.

This is my version of what SarahandBendrix does. Not nearly as neat or perfect as hers, but it does the trick. If you're wondering, I used a heart shaped paper puncher and a good ol' gluestick. The 6th heart and 17th heart are yellow because we started dating on June 17 (6/17).

IMG_0691

And this is a letter Matt sent to me from Iraq during his first deployment. No, that's not my address anymore, just an old college address. Ever since I got it I wanted to frame it. I wanted to get it custom framed but instead I just bought one of those frames for $1 bills that businesses sometimes hang up, and used that instead. It was the perfect proportions. I just placed the envelope on a gray piece of cardstock and placed that over the mat. Anyone with a loved one overseas knows how sentimental these letters can be. Whenever I look at it I always picture him in his tent doodling away at this envelope for me.

IMG_0690

What do you think so far? I know exactly what's going in all the empty spaces, and I can't wait to share the finished product!

25 comments:

  1. I LOVE every piece that you have there!!! You are so creative Leah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the collage wall, too cute. Following from the blog hop. Hope you can follow back.
    God Bless,
    Shelley
    < a href="http://www.mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com//">Finding My Life in Faith< /a>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the follow...I'm following you back! Love your wall decor! It's absolutely perfect that there is meaning behind each piece. I love the colored hearts for your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following you back!!

    Thanks for following me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came over from Swingin' By Sunday. I'm now following you through GFC.

    I'd love for you to swing by my blog and follow me back.

    The Nourishing Homemaker
    http://nurturedfamilylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm your newest follower from Swingin' By Sunday! Come check out my blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! A new follower from Swingin' by Sunday... See you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    I'm a new follower va GFC. Blog hopping from "Say Hi Sunday"

    Please support me by commenting in this post:
    http://green-bellpepper.blogspot.com/2011/01/minute-maid-pulply-day.html

    Thank you and happy sunday!

    ~Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that heart frame!

    I just found your blog on one of the Sunday blog hops! Have a great week.

    Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a new GFC follower from Say Hi Sunday. Please drop by my blog!

    Lisa
    www.LisaBlogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you said collage-I thought paint/glue-so when I read it was your wall-I thought 'huh?!'
    Ha! Very neat idea-sentimental and crafty. I'm following back ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh! All your things are so sweet! I love them!
    Thanks for following. I'm now following you!
    Mika (www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. newest follower here! would love for you to consider following me back.
    malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the collage wall . . . what an awesome idea :)

    Thanks for following my blogs . . . I am following your blog as well!

    Have a wonderful week . . . Gina

    http://peacelovehappinesshappens.blogspot.com
    http://babyboomerflashback.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative! I love the framed hearts and the meaning behind it! New follower! http://sahmandusmcwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm a new follower from military monday blog hop.

    i'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow back :)

    http://diaryofadevildogwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello I am a new follower from Mingle Monday, I would love a follow back at
    http://megankayden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it!

    Now following from http://www.babydealsdujour.com/blog

    We track all of the daily baby deals in real-time. Would love for you to stop by and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so creative and pretty! I may do something similar soon. Thank you for the inspiration. I am your newest follower from the Military Monday Blog Hop. I would love it if you would come check me out in return.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I'm a new follower from military MOnday Blog hop, happy to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI! Thank for joining us for Making Friends Monday. I am now a follower of your lovely blog. Have a great week! ~Heather www.livingonloveandcents.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks GREAT~ I especially love the framed envelope!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's awesome! As a fellow MA girl, I too love the Massachusetts cutting board!

    I'm following you from the Welcome Wednesday blog hop.

    Please stop by www.naptimeismytime.com when you have the opportunity.

    Best,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  24. How did you hang the cutting board? I have one and I would love to hang it, but don't want to put any holes in it!

    ReplyDelete