Friday, June 11, 2010

Bacon, Mushroom, and Onion Stuffed Burgers

Can we just discuss how weird this picture is?


I don't know if it's the angle I took the picture or what, but I cannot explain why the top part of the bun looks gargantuan in comparison to the lower half of the bun and the burger itself. In real life the burger and all its parts were in proportion. After I took this picture and noticed how big the top half of the bun looked, I purposely did not take another one. It's just so strange.

Anyway, we love mushrooms in this house. I've probably said that before, but I can't really say that we love mushrooms too many times because no matter how many times I say it, it's really not doing justice to the seriousness of our mushroom love affair.

And when I found this recipe, which combines bacon AND mushrooms, I was sold. And the pork in the burgers adds so much to the flavor. These take a little work, but totally worth it.

Ingredients:
4 slices bacon
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can mushrooms, drained and chopped (the recipe called for 4 oz but we used almost an entire 8 oz can)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb bulk pork sausage
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic power
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Lettuce (if you want, I love lettuce on burgers)

Directions:
1. Cook bacon until crisp and drain almost all but 2 tbsp of grease. Saute onions in drippings. Add mushrooms to skillet, and crumble bacon and add to skillet.
2. Combine beef, pork, cheese, pepper, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl. Shape into 16 patties. Divide bacon mixture and place over half of the patties. Place remaining patties on top and press edges tightly to seal.
3. Grill over medium-heat until cooked through.

2 comments:

  1. This burger sounds DELICIOUS!! To possibly help with your "bun" situation, have you seen those pita-looking buns they make now?? They are MUCH thinner and over half the calories, carbs, and sugar! Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I love those bun things! I've been eating them on sandwiches for a while but with burger I like a big bun :) If I'm eating a burger with bacon and cheese, a whole wheat bun is probably the least of my worries! haha

    ReplyDelete