Wednesday, May 26, 2010

No-name-appropriate-to-describe-the-deliciousness meatballs.


I'm not going to claim these meatballs are the best ever because every meatball recipe claims it is the best ever. But honestly these ARE the best. I'm super picky about meatballs and I have been trying for a really long time to find a perfect meatball recipe. I had just about given up, but last week when I was making the grocery list and was seriously craving meatball subs, I found a recipe that sounded really good. It wasn't right though - it was missing what I consider to be key spices in meatballs and included parmesan cheese. I really don't like parmesan cheese IN meatballs. I'm not sure why, because I love parmesan cheese in and on just about everything. But that's besides the point. So, I made said adjustments to the recipe, and adjusted the beef to sausage ratio, and this is now MY meatball recipe. I was even hesitant to share it, but it's just too good not to share. I should probably copyright it, it's just SO good.

For the sauce:

1/2 pound mild/sweet Italian sausage
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 small green bell pepper diced
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 12oz can tomato paste
2 8oz cans tomato sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Pepper to taste

For the meatballs:

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 pound mild/sweet Italian sausage
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper


Cook sausage, onion, and green pepper over medium high heat in a dutch oven or large sauce pot until sausage is browned and drain the fat. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer.

While the sauce simmers, combine meatball ingredients and mix well. Shape into meatballs, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Brown in about 3 tbsp olive oil and drain. Add to the sauce and cover and simmer for about 2 hours.

Serve them on french rolls and top with sliced mozzarella or parmesan cheese if you wish! SO GOOD! You can also serve them with pasta (which we ate tonight, and which was also delicious), but if you like saucy pasta I would probably double the sauce recipe!

1 comment: